All forms of illegal and legal sports wagering is opposed by the NCAA. All of this has the potential to undermine sports contests integrity as well as jeopardize the welfare of student-athletes along with the intercollegiate athletics community. Following you will see what the history and pervasiveness of wagering is like in intercollegiate athletics. There will also be helpful tips as to how student athletes can keep their teams and programs clear of gambling-related issues.
NCAA Official Position/Statement
The NCAA opposes all sorts of gambling whether it be legal or illegal on college sports. Sports wagering has grown to be a serious problem that not only threatens the well-being of every student athlete but also the integrity of college sports.
* Gambling has exploded onto the scene and has caused a great increase in the number of wagering-related cases against sports that have been processed by the Association.
* The Internet has made it far easier for the student-athlete to place bets while providing easy access, no supervision and virtual anonymity.
* Student-athletes are view as easy marks by organized crime as well as organized gambling.
* When a student-athlete gambles, he or she breaks the law and puts in jeopardy their eligibility.
* When the student athlete becomes so immersed in debt to the bookies and cannot seem to pay off their debts, the bookies introduce alternative methods of payment which could include point-shaving.
* The NCAA membership has adopted certain rules that prohibit conference office staff, student-athletes and staff members of the athletics department from engaging in sports wagering. The national employees of the NCAA are also prohibited from engaging in sports wagering.
* Sports competitions should be appreciated for the game that is being played and not for the sum of money that is wagered on a game’s outcome.
* A student-athlete that has been found to be involved in sports wagering will permanently lose all remaining regular and post season eligibility in all sports.
* A student-athlete who involves himself or herself in any kind of sports wagering activity which involves either college sports or professional athletics through any Internet gambling, parlay card or bookmaker will not be eligible for any regular season as well as post season competition for at least a year’s time.
Do you happen to know what is lurking behind the scenes of an Internet sportsbook? How do you know that you will get paid by the book even if you win? You don’t!
SportsBetScams was started with just one intention in mind: to prevent those shady online sports books from stealing the hard-earned cash of the bettor.
Being taken in ourselves and having seen it too many times as we watch the fraud and theft continue, we decided that it was time to do something about it.
Online sports betting scams
This is a million-dollar industry that has shady operators who set up flimsy operations behind slick interfaces that have legit odds and blinking lights. If you are a bettor, you had better beware! These sites are only there to do one thing and that is to rip you off!
How to Spot A Scam
We will tell you right now how to spot a scam so you will not fall victim to it! Sports betting is a dangerous business even without having the extra risk of gambling on the sportsbook. Why would you want to risk your hard-earned money on something that could just turn out to be a scam? How are you able to tell the difference between the legitimate and the shady dealers? The answer is: you can’t! You have to trust your gut and your common sense. However, if I were you I would steer clear of sports betting altogether!
By Simon Skinner
sportsbook-watch has top betting reviews and recommendations of the best sportsbook, poker and casino websites. They list and review only the best gambling websites.