Christmas 2008 is fast approaching and you might want to start making your shopping list now to avoid the stirring holiday rush and ultimately forefend being potentially labeled as a crappy gift giver. Since both you and I are fans of online gambling, particularly online poker – I am going to list down 8 great Christmas gift ideas to give away for our online poker addict friends.
1. Books – There are a lot of books that give tips on how to play your online poker game well. If you are a serious online poker player, Doyle Brunson’s “Super System” is a great addition to a poker player’s arsenal. I would also recommend “The Full Tilt Poker Strategy Guide: Tournament Edition”. Brunson’s Super System (I and II) covers the spectrum of online poker as played in ring games at casinos. This volume is the counterpart for tournament play.
2. Poker Movies in DVD plus 21- Both “California Split” and “The Rounders” are classic poker movies. Califonia Split of 1974 is the only movie to ever attempt to show the day to day life of card-playing, sports-betting, sleep-till-noon gamblers. While “The Rounders” is a story about how a poker player can read the mind of his opponents like a book but can’t read the minds of his traitor girlfriend and best friend. Ludicrous isn’t it? Yet, the poker scenes are really good and you can make this an online poker educational movie marathon at the end of the day. I would also recommend 21 even if it’s not about poker. “21: The Movie” is a recent drama film from Columbia pictures. The film is actually inspired by a true story of the MIT Blackjack Team. Really good movie. Albeit the movies are not directly about online poker gaming, you’d still learn a few tips and polish your online poker strategies further. To top this wonderful Christmas treat, make sure that popcorn and soda are present.
3. LCD Monitor – If you have money splurge and you’re feeling generous, an LCD monitor would surely put you in your friend’s “Best Gift Giver” list. A big monitor resolution is great way to enhance one’s online poker gaming experience via multi-tabling. Multi-tabling is good for online poker tournaments since reads are not that important, and you don’t usually have to watch every piece of action to gauge your opponents.
4. Poker Padz – This is a green felt, poker table-shaped mouse pad made from the same materials used on casino poker tables around the world. This should be the most amusing and cute gift for an online poker player since this mouse pad even let’s you hold a couple of stacks of chips. Your online poker friend would surely enjoy re-creating the feel of live action poker while intently playing online.
5. Poker Heads – As online poker players, there are several iconic poker players we look up to. Cyber Arts, an online poker software developer, advised to go for inspirational gifts and incite the poker master in each of us by giving collectible Poker Heads. Poker Heads are limited edition bobblehead collectibles, also known as the Stars of Poker Series.
6. Poker Video Games – These poker games are a good break from the competitive realm of online poker. These games also enable one to get a poker fix without putting any real money at risk. One of the hottest titles is the game “Stacked,” available for the Xbox. This retails for $29.99, and is unique in that it features adaptive artificial intelligence, and you can get tips from Daniel Negreanu as you play. Other titles available for Xbox and Play Station 2 include: “World Championship Poker,” “World Poker Tour,” and “World Series of Poker.”
7. A Poker Themed Wall Clock – For the round-the-clock online poker players, this poker-themed wall clock is a great addition to liven-up a bland wall with poker aesthetics. These clocks have neon, and look great on a wall near any poker or pool table and even next to your computer. They can be found for about $50 (with neon); less expensive models can be found, too.
8. A Check – Give a check either to pay for the registration or offer to pay the buy-ins, any avid online poker player would love you for that.
For more information, you can check on online gaming software and development
By Harold Blue
Harold Blue has been a leading online casino player for years and collects books and other reference materials for online gaming. He has been a copy contributor to online gambling sites. Currently, he is working with a team of online gaming software developers to create his own online casino site with more interactive features and nontraditional games included.